The new server will also act as a backup server, so I’ll add 3 3TB drives in RAIDZ-1 config.
First order of business is to replace the stock HP P400 RAID card with a non-raid HBA. For this, I’ve chosen the popular IBM M1015 SAS card. It’s a great 6Gbps PCIe 2.0 card that can be easily reflashed to plain HBA mode.
Before the M1015 can be used with ZFS (NexentaStor in my case). I need to reflash the card to “IT” firmware. The process is relatively simple.
Download the IT firmware here – This should be compatible with any LSI SAS2008 based card.
1. Extract the contents of the RAR file to a DOS bootable USB Flash drive.
2. Boot the server using the flash drive. Make sure only one card is connected.
3. Clear the firmware from the card
> megarec -writesbr 0 empty.bin
4. Erase the flash
> megarec -cleanflash 0
5. Reboot the box.
6. Flash the new IT Firmware to the card
> sas2flsh -o -f 2108it.bin -b mptsas2.rom
7. Enable the card’s IT mode. “500605bxxxxxxxxx” SAS address from sticker on the card without dash or quotes.
> sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx
8. Final reboot and the card is good to go.