The program is quickly approaching version 1. There’s still a few bugs to iron out and some serious testing. But the program is now about 90% feature complete.
Once I have a stable V1. I’ll start adding support for additional meters.
The new software project is coming along nicely. I’m really digging Visual Studio 2012 and .Net Framework 4.5. Unfortunately there’s not much for .NET 4.5 WPF Gauge controls and I didn’t really feel like writing ones from scratch. I decided to revert to WinForms for now. The entire logic of the software is kept separate from the presentation layer so once i get some good third party controls, it should be relatively simple to change over to it.
After a bit of research, I discovered that the Uni-Trend UT61E uses an all-in-one chip that also handles the serial communication. It’s a Cyrustek ES51922 Chip and a bit of googling I found the technical documentation that also describes the serial protocol and data encoding in the serial stream.
Took me a bit of work to get the data to flow from the UT61E and after a fair bit of bit-twidling. I was able to successfully translate the raw data from the multimeter to a useful format.
The meter feeds about 2 samples per second (except in Frequency mode where it seems to slow to 1 sample per second). Not the fastest feed but good enough for most application.
Next step is to write the logic engine to deal with all the features I want to implement.